The mission of the Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) is to foster the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems. OFRF envisions a future where organic farming is the leading form of agriculture. Since its founding in 1990, OFRF has sponsored organic farming research, education, and outreach to support organic and transitioning farmers across North America. This work is complemented by efforts to share our findings with policy makers, agricultural institutions, and federal agencies to support broader change and advance the organic sector.
The OFRF Communications Director is a full-time, benefited, exempt position. While the organization is based in Santa Cruz, CA, this position has the ability to work remotely within the continental USA.
The Communications Director is responsible for setting and implementing OFRF’s communications strategy, including media and PR strategy, storytelling, and creative science-based content management. The Communications Director works to create awareness of our organization and maximize impact of our research, educational resources, and advocacy efforts by creating compelling content and driving conversations about our work among organic producers, researchers, partners, and the broader community.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Lead the strategic development and oversight of OFRF’s communications and expand the reach and visibility of the organization
- Support and promote OFRF’s mission, vision, and values.
- Manage OFRF’s brand and public image, in partnership with staff and Board.
- Develop and implement a strategic marketing and communications plan that supports our 2024-2029 organizational strategic plan.
- Grow awareness of OFRF by increasing reach and expanding partnerships, including bringing fresh ideas and strategy for branding, marketing, storytelling and outreach.
- Manage OFRF’s communications and social media content and calendars and refine them utilizing data and analytics.
- Increase visibility of OFRF in the media by handling inbound requests, reaching out to news and public relations outlets as opportunities arise, and growing and maintaining OFRF’s media list and relationships with media professionals.
- Collaborate in implementing communication strategies that support fundraising.
- Collaborate with staff and board on OFRF racial equity, diversity and inclusion goals.
- Determine outside support needs for specialized skills and adding capacity (ie. graphic design, videography, copy/editing, web support, translation, etc).
- Oversee multiple talented contractors and ensure the full breadth of OFRF communications is executed in a timely and professional manner.
Create and manage content for distribution through a wide array of communications channels
- Collaborate with program staff and contractors to collect, create and distribute practical information about the regenerative and climate resilience benefits of organic farming systems.
- Aid in the development and implementation of communications strategies that target policy makers with compelling narratives on the importance of organic agriculture to their states and districts.
- Work with development staff to support donor acknowledgement, grant proposals, written appeals, and other fundraising efforts.
- Manage social media across various platforms, including developing social media toolkits for dissemination of resources and event promotion.
- Oversee website content, layout, and monitor analytics to refine user experience.
- Manage production of monthly newsletters and manage email lists in Mailchimp.
- Write press releases and blogs about OFRF projects, news, and other relevant topics.
- Coordinate development of multimedia outputs (graphics, videos, podcasts, etc).
- Lead the creation of style-guides and templates for consistency throughout publications and outreach.
- Develop and publish OFRF’s marketing collateral and printed material such as annual report and other promotional products.
- Support remote and in-person event planning.
- Other related duties as assigned by your supervisor.
SKILLS AND QUALITIES
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience in communications and a demonstrated ability to produce quality materials with excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills for a diverse array of styles and audiences.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of OFRF, including alignment with OFRF’s racial equity, inclusion and diversity initiatives.
- Strong storytelling skills, including the ability to relay the real life stories of organic farmers’ challenges and successes.
- Experience securing media coverage for causes or organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences including farmers.
- Knowledge of organic food and farming issues and experience with non-profit environmental or agricultural organizations preferred.
- Competence in marketing and public relations.
- Experience with email marketing and managing targeted email lists in Mailchimp or similar software.
- Extensive social media and web development skills.
- Experience working with graphic designers, printers, and website developers.
- Strong organization skills, attention to details, and time management.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, meet deadlines, problem-solve, and work well with management and consultants.
- Familiarity with customer resource management (CRM) systems, Salesforce preferred.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
Starting salary is between $85-90k depending on experience. OFRF offers a competitive benefits package and a great work environment with lots of flexibility. We look for co-workers who can have fun and are committed to working for a cause we love.
To be considered for the position, application packets must include the following:
- A cover letter stating your interest and qualifications
- A resume outlining your skills and experience
Submit your complete packet with “Communications Director” in the subject line to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Please visit www.ofrf.org to learn more.
OFRF is an equal opportunity employer. Just as in the natural world where diversity creates resilience and strength, we believe a diverse workplace is crucial to the success of our organization and our efforts to support organic farmers. We strive to create a safe and supportive office culture and workplace that encourages racial and social equity. OFRF has a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply no matter their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status.