THIS POSITION HAS CLOSED AS OF 02/23/2022.
The Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) works to foster the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems. OFRF envisions a future where organic farming is the leading form of agriculture. Since our founding in 1990, OFRF has sponsored organic farming research, education, and outreach to support organic and transitioning farmers across North America. This work is complemented by efforts to share our findings with policy makers, agricultural institutions, and federal agencies to support broader change and advance the organic sector.
The Organic Farming Research Foundation is seeking a Policy and Programs Manager to conduct in-depth analysis of federal and state funded policy and programs and develop and coordinate legislative and regulatory campaigns to ensure such programs effectively support the needs of organic farmers. This position offers a great opportunity for the right candidate to interact with federal agency staff, political officials, non-profit partners and other diverse stakeholders to advocate on behalf of organic farmers and scientists.
This is a full-time, exempt position, eligible for benefits. OFRF’s primary office is in Santa Cruz, CA but this position is fully remote. DC-based candidates are strongly encouraged, but not required. The Policy and Programs Manager reports to the Executive Director (ED).
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor and analyze federal legislative and regulatory policy as it pertains to organic farming and how well USDA programs (particularly research, technical assistance, and conservation programs) serve the organic sector.
- Develop written positions/recommendations/issue briefs on key federal policy and programs to support the priorities of organic farmers as identified in OFRF’s National Organic Research Agenda.
- Advance organic as a key component to climate mitigation and adaptation in federal policy.
- Represent OFRF at meetings with policy makers, grower groups, and coalition partners.
- Position OFRF as a reliable resource for Hill, USDA and other agency staff.
- In some cases, may support state policy efforts to advance organic farming research.
- Contribute to OFRF projects and programs, usually through research, writing or analysis.
- Manage some OFRF projects and grants (overseeing contractors, deliverables, and reporting).
- Cultivate diverse partnerships with NGOs, businesses, academic institutions, and other organizations to advance policy goals and develop new program and partnership initiatives.
- Write monthly blogs or articles about policy issues for the OFRF website and newsletter.
- Contribute to OFRF’s presence on social media through frequent sharing of relevant news and original posts on OFRF’s policy work.
- Manage grassroots advocacy organizing efforts such as action alerts.
- Design and implement activities to increase organic farmer engagement on policy issues.
- Collaborate with colleagues in project, program, and strategic planning.
- Keep Executive Director, Board of Directors, and staff apprised of current policy issues.
- Support fundraising and grant writing for program activities
- Staff the Policy and Program Committee of the OFRF Board of Directors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in similar role.
- Masters, JD, or other relevant degree strongly preferred.
- Knowledge about organic agriculture, food systems, and climate change.
- Deep understanding of federal legislative and regulatory processes.
- Ability to think strategically about application of research and research policy to support the organization’s goals.
- Demonstrated track record of managing people, projects, and deadlines that deliver results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative, achieve goals, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work independently as well as on a team.
- Willingness and ability to travel to occasional conferences, meetings, and other OFRF events. Candidates not based in Washington, DC must be willing to travel there as needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build collegial relationships with researchers, policy makers, farmers, donors, and other partners.
- Ability to interface with OFRF’s diverse constituents in a clear, positive, and engaging manner.
- Willingness to be part of small but impactful team that advances the overall goals and activities of the organization.
- Strong commitment to the mission, values, and goals of OFRF.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
Starting salary range between $60-$75k depending on experience and location. OFRF offers a competitive benefits package that includes generous paid time off, retirement match, and health, dental, vision, and life insurance. OFRF is a great work environment with lots of flexibility. We look for co-workers who can have fun while working as hard as we do for a cause we love.
Submit your complete packet with “POLICY and PROGRAMS MANAGER” in the subject line via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified applicants should submit:
- A cover letter stating your interest and qualifications
- A resume outlining your skills and experience
- Salary requirement
Please visit www.ofrf.org to learn more.
Organic Farming Research Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Just as in the natural world where diversity creates resilience and strength, we believe a diverse workplace is crucial to the success of our organization and our efforts to support organic farmers. We strive to create a safe and supportive office culture and workplace that encourages racial and social equity. OFRF has a zero tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply no matter their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status.