The mission of the Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) is to foster the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems. OFRF envisions a future where organic farming is the leading form of agriculture. Since our founding in 1990, OFRF has sponsored organic farming research, education, and outreach to support organic and transitioning farmers across North America. This work is complemented by efforts to share our findings with policy makers, agricultural institutions, and federal agencies to support broader change and advance the organic sector.
The OFRF Communications Manager is a full-time, benefited, exempt position. While the organization is based in Santa Cruz, CA, this position has the ability to work remotely. The Communications Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy to increase the visibility and financial support of OFRF through strong content, broad outreach, and effective partnerships. The Communications Manager works to create awareness of our research, educational materials, and advocacy efforts among organic producers and the broader agricultural community.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect, write about, and distribute practical information, stories, and resources to the organic farming community including farmers, researchers, policy makers, and the general public through a wide array of communications channels
- Manage social media communications and content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and other channels
- Manage website content and monitor analytics
- Coordinate development of multimedia strategies (video, podcasts, written media, etc.) to promote and disseminate research and information on organic farming practices
- Write press releases and blogs about OFRF projects, news, and other relevant topics.
- Produce monthly newsletters and manage email lists in Mailchimp
- Work with program staff to write, copy-edit, publish, and distribute multimedia materials and resources
- Oversee multiple outside contractors
- Manage OFRF’s communications calendar
- Increase visibility of OFRF in the media by handling inbound requests and reaching out to news outlets when needed
- Maintain OFRF’s media list and relationships with media professionals
- Develop and publish OFRF’s annual report
- Work closely with development staff to support partnership building, communications-focused proposals, email and written appeals, copy editing of grants, and general fundraising efforts
- Support event planning
- Collaborate with staff and board on OFRF racial equity, diversity and inclusion goals
- Other related duties as assigned by your supervisor
SKILLS AND QUALITIES
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading for a diverse array of writing styles and audiences
- Commitment to the mission and vision of OFRF, including alignment with OFRF’s racial equity, inclusion and diversity initiatives
- Ability to communicate effectively with farmers and farming advocates
- Strong organization skills, attention to details, and time management
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, problem-solve, and work well with management and consultants
- Extensive social media skills (Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Experience coordinating the content, layout, and publishing of newsletters in Mailchimp or with similar software
- Experience working with graphic designers, printers, and website developers
- Experience with email marketing and managing targeted email lists
- Understanding of web design, particularly WordPress
- Professional experience in communications, marketing, and PR
- Demonstrated ability to produce creative quality material
- Proficiency with Salesforce customer resource management (CRM) system
- Experience with non-profit environmental or agricultural organizations
- Knowledge of organic food, farming issues and an interest in relaying the real life stories of organic farmers’ challenges and successes
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and other design and editing software, including Premiere, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
Starting salary range $60-68K, depending on experience. OFRF offers a competitive benefits package and a great work environment with lots of flexibility. We look for co-workers who can have fun and are committed to working for a cause we love.
Submit your complete packet with “Communications Manager” in the subject line via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified applicants should submit by 11/13/22:
- A cover letter stating your interest and qualifications
- A resume outlining your skills and experience
Please visit www.ofrf.org to learn more.
OFRF is an equal opportunity employer. Just as in the natural world where diversity creates resilience and strength, we believe a diverse workplace is crucial to the success of our organization and our efforts to support organic farmers. We strive to create a safe and supportive office culture and workplace that encourages racial and social equity. OFRF has a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply no matter their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status.